today's paper

Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Today's Paper
Today's Paper
The Manila Times
Ferrari’s Luce EV fetches $40M at auctionMILAN, Italy — Ferrari has sold at auction a one-off, bespoke version of the Luce, its first fully electric vehicle (EV), for $40 million, the Italian luxury sports carmaker said, adding that the money will be used for education projects to help young people. US billionaire investor and Ferrari collector Herbert Wertheim, an optometrist and founder of optical lens technologies manufacturer Brain Power Inc., bought the vehicle at an auction during Monterey Car Week. The auction, in partnership with RM Sotheby’s, came as Ferrari seeks to build momentum behind the Luce, which was unveiled in May as the most radical product launch in the company’s history, but was met with a lukewarm reception. At its launch, the 550,000-euro ($638,400) five-seat, four-door EV triggered a heated debate among Ferrari enthusiasts, analysts and on social media, drawing criticism from purists over its unconventional styling and its break with the marque’s combustion-engine heritage. The reaction prompted questions about whether wealthy clientele would embrace a fully electric Ferrari, but the company last month said it was “very pleased” with orders for the Luce, although it did not provide figures. The auction price for the one-off vehicle — known as “Chassis 0” and created by Ferrari’s Tailor Made division and design center — set a world record for a new car sold at auction, the company said on Sunday. The price exceeded the $26 million fetched by a one-off Ferrari Daytona SP3, which was also bought by Wertheim last year. The company said proceeds from the sale would support education projects in the United States and elsewhere through its Ferrari Foundation. reuters
TRY THE MANILA TIMES PREMIUM
FREE FOR 14 DAYS
SUBSCRIBE NOW
ALREADY A SUBSCRIBER?
LOGIN HERE
DOWNLOAD THE DIGITAL EDITION APP